Fordcombe’s School Log Book shows that the school opened in 1862, to be run by a mistress and monitors. The latter today we might call childminders because, for the first nine years, it enrolled pupils aged, unbelievably, from as young as 1½ to 12, taught in the same building. However in 1871 it was divided into Infant and Mixed schools, with a combined roll of 80 children.
Today, the school typically hosts around 105 children across 4 classes. Fordcombe has a dedicated, enthusiastic teaching team that is committed to the academic, social and spiritual development of each pupil. We aim that every child that leaves us is ready to take up new challenges as an independent, responsible and resilient citizen of the future.