Welcome to Elm Class
Please do not hesitate to speak to Mr Meacham if you have any questions about Elm Class.
Daily Routine and Clothing
- The school gate opens at 8.40am and children may come straight into class as they arrive.
- Pupils should keep their book bag and lunch boxes with them.
- Please try and keep bag sizes and accessories to a minimum as we have limited storage space in the classroom.
- At 8.55am the children will line up and be escorted to the classroom. They should not enter the classroom before this time.
- Please make sure children have named weather appropriate clothing such as warm coats, hats and gloves in the winter months.
Morning Snack Time
- Please provide children with a named water bottle. Water will always be available and provided regularly. The children will be reminded to take their bottle home each day.
- If you would like your child to have or continue to have milk, please see the office to make arrangements.
- If you would like to provide a healthy snack please place in an appropriate named container. Children can place these into the box when they come into the classroom each morning.
- Most children are free readers and are able to change their book whenever necessary. They can do so at school from the class book corner or they may bring in books from home. We have some amazing reading angels who kindly hear individual readers throughout the week. This means that the children should have a reading book and their reading record in school every day. Please feel free to write comments on your child's reading and encourage the children to comment in their own record too. It is important that the children read every day and whenever possible share a book with you either reading or talking about the book.
- At school the children will be taught reading, both decoding and comprehension skills, through group reading sessions. These involve working with adults, independent reading activities and spelling activities.
Relevant Objects, Artefacts or Information
- If you have any of the above or items which link to the topic or could be shared with the class, please do send them into school. Any links to learning are fantastic.
- Please make sure they are labelled and any special instructions given to make sure they are cared for and shown in their best light!!
- Homework will be given out on a Thursday to be handed in by the following Wednesday. the children each have a homework book in which to record their work. The homework will consist of weekly spellings, a task on Mathletics and a task linked to an aspect of the curriculum. We would like the curriculum-based task to be submitted via class DoJo, please. The spellings will be given out in list form for the whole term. The lists are dated so the children know which list they are working on. Spellings will be used as part of their guided reading activities so their spelling records need to be in school every day.
- Children will spend approximately an hour on Literacy and Mathematics each day.
- Afternoons will be made up of various subjects such as topic, RE and science.
- PE this term is on Tuesday afternoons.. Please ensure weather appropriate PE kit is in school and all items named.
- Children will also have a session of French and Music during the week, taught by a specialist teacher.
- If you need to inform us of any additional information throughout the term e.g. your child going home for tea with a friend, please send in a note.
- If you need to contact Mr Meacham or one of the team, we are usually available just after school and contactable via class DoJo.. Alternatively contact the school office.