Welcome to Beech Class
These pages have useful information about the day to day running of Beech Class.
- An adult will listen to children read at least twice a week (this may be individually or as part of a guided reading session).
- The reading scheme books have recently been banded by level and books will be changes a minimum of once a week.
- Pupils benefit greatly from reading at home. An individual reading record will be sent home with reading books. Please sign your child’s reading record and make a note of which page your child has read up to. If appropriate share any information about how they have got on.
- Children will take up to 3 books home at a time, but sharing other reading material and text types at home is extremely useful and engaging.
Curriculum and Timetable
- Children will spend approximately an hour on Literacy and Mathematics each day.
- Guided reading takes place daily and if pupils are not reading they are completing spelling and comprehension activities.
- Read, Write Inc. is a daily 20 minute session to focus on reading. Those who have moved on from this programme will be undertaking RWI spelling or support for spelling.
- Topic work and enquiry will form the basis of the afternoon sessions. Pupils will cover different themes over each term with a cross curricular approach to include History, Geography, Design Technology, ICT and Art.
- PE/Dance lessons will take place each week. Please ensure weather appropriate PE kit is in school and all items named.
- Children will also have at least 1 hour of Science a week. R.E will be taught by Mrs Pearce and Music will be taught by Mrs Hughes
- If you need to inform me of any additional information throughout the term e.g. your child going home for tea with a friend, inform the teacher or email the office who will pass on the message.
- The school gate opens at 8.40am and children may enter the playground as soon as this is open. Pupils should put their book bags, lunch boxes and snack pots in the containers provided outside the classroom entrance and take coats and other accessories with them onto the playground.
- They should then go down to the playground with their coats until the whistle blows are 8.55am.
Morning Snack Time
- Please provide children with a named water bottle. These are kept in the classroom and children encouraged to drink regularly. Water is always available and bottles will be sent home each day.
- If you would like your child to have or continue to have milk, please see the office to make arrangements.
- Fruit is provided for all KS1 pupils on a daily basis. If you would like to provide additional snack of fruit or vegetables please place in an appropriate named container. Children can place these into the box on the trolley each morning.
Show and Tell
- Show and tell will take place every Friday afternoon on a rota basis to ensure all pupils get an opportunity to show and tell once a half term. Children have an allocated day for their show and tell. Shoe and tell items should be related to our class or topic work; any links to learning are fantastic.
- Please make sure they are labeled and any special instructions given.